My research focuses on fundamental as well as applied aspects of ecology and physiology of microalgae. I am interested in causes and consequences of eutrophication of lakes and I am currently involved in projects on mountain lakes (Cajas National Park, Ecuador) and lakes in urbanized landscapes (Belgium, Qatar). I am also interested in the physiology of phytoplankton: how do microalgal cells respond to changes in their environment, particularly nutrient stress? Finally, I am fascinated by how microalgae can be used for applications ranging from neutraceuticals, food, feed or fuel to wastewater treatment, and how this can be done in a cost-effective way. In recent years, I have done a lot of work on microalgal harvesting, on production of omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants from microalgae and on removal and re-use of nutrients from wastewater using microalgae. My lab is situated in Kortrijk, at a satellite campus of KU Leuven.
- Markou G., Vandamme D., Muylaert K. 2014. Microalgal and cyanobacterial cultivation: The supply of nutrients. Water Research. vol. , pp. 186-202
- Vandamme D., Foubert I., Muylaert K. 2013. Flocculation as a low-cost method for harvesting microalgae for bulk biomass production. Trends in Biotechnology. vol.31 (4) , pp. 233-239
- Depraetere O., Foubert I., Muylaert K. 2013. Decolorisation of piggery wastewater to stimulate the production of Arthrospira platensis. Bioresource Technology. vol. , pp. 366-372
- Goiris K., Muylaert K., Voorspoels S., Noten B., De Paepe D., Baart G., De Cooman L. 2014. Detection of flavonoids in microalgae from different evolutionary lineages. Journal of Phycology. vol.50 (3) , pp. 483-492
- Vanderstukken M., Declerck S., Decaestecker E., Muylaert K. 2014. Long-term allelopathic control of phytoplankton by the submerged macrophyte Elodea nuttallii. Freshwater Biology. vol.59 (5) , pp. 930-941