Our research is focussed on two major subjects. The first is the elucidation of the molecular basis of nutrient sensing and signaling in yeast. More spcifically, it focuses how essential nutrients, like sugars, nitrogen sources, phosphate, sulfate, metal ions, ... are sensed by the cells to regulate growth and growth-correlated properties through the cAMP-PKA pathway. The second subject is the development of superior industrial yeast strains for various applications, in particular first- and second-generation bioethanol porduction, beer brewing and the production of green chemicals. For that purpose, we have developed technologies for the polygenic analysis of complex traits of industrial importance and the genetic modification of industrial yeast strains.
- Demeke M., Dietz H., Li Y., Foulquie y Moreno M., Mutturi S., Deprez S., Den Abt T., Bonini B., Liden G., Dumortier F., Verplaetse A., Boles E., Thevelein J. 2013. Development of a D-xylose fermenting and inhibitor tolerant industrial Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain with high performance in lignocellulose hydrolysates using metabolic and evolutionary engineering. Biotechnology for Biofuels. vol.6 (1) , pp. 89-
- Pais T., Foulquie y Moreno M., Hubmann G., Duitama J., Swinnen S., Goovaerts A., Yang Y., Dumortier F., Thevelein J. 2013. Comparative Polygenic Analysis of Maximal Ethanol Accumulation Capacity and Tolerance to High Ethanol Levels of Cell Proliferation in Yeast. PLoS Genetics. vol.9 (6) , pp. 1-18
- Yang Y., Foulquie-Moreno M., Clement L., Erdei E., An Tanghe ., Schaerlaekens K., Dumortier F., Thevelein J. 2013. QTL Analysis of High Thermotolerance with Superior and Downgraded Parental Yeast Strains Reveals New Minor QTLs and Converges on Novel Causative Alleles Involved in RNA Processing. PLoS Genetics. vol.9 (8) , pp. 1-15
- Conrad M., Schothorst J., Kankipati H., Van Zeebroeck G., Rubio Texeira M., Thevelein J. 2014. Nutrient sensing and signaling in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEMS MICROBIOLOGY REVIEWS. vol.38 (2) , pp. 254-299
- Van Zeebroeck G., Rubio Texeira M., Schothorst J., Thevelein J. 2014. Specific analogues uncouple transport, signalling, oligo-ubiquitination and endocytosis in the yeast Gap1 amino acid transceptor. MOLECULAR MICROBIOLOGY. vol.93 (2) , pp. 213-233